Founded in February 2017 on a brand new purpose built terrain, Muscliff Park Pétanque Club is the only pétanque club in Bournemouth, playing on a fully enclosed seven lane terrain measuring 20m by 14m, floodlit to facilitate evening matches.
In our inaugural season both our teams won promotion in their respective leagues. They were joined by two additional teams for the 2018 season, both of which were again promoted. So next season we shall have two of our teams vying for success in Division 1 of the New Forest League and another playing in the rarefied atmosphere of Division 2 of the Southern Counties League.
But equally important is the social side to our club, which now boasts a membership of nearly 80 people all enjoying the camaraderie which is integral to our sport. We are hosts to our friends from Bournemouth U3A and to a group of retired members of REME. Pétanque (also known as French boules) is a game uniquely suited to players of all ages and abilities and offers fresh air and exercise twelve months a year. We are a hardy bunch!
We offer a variety of official playing sessions – not just our regular Club evening every Monday at 7pm but also playing opportunities some afternoons and on Saturday mornings too. We are also developing training and coaching sessions to enable our members to get the most out of their pastime.
Here are seven reasons to join the Muscliff Park Pétanque Club family
- MPPC is friendly. All our team will go the extra mile to exceed your expectations
- MPPC is inclusive. Some like it social, some like it competitive. But we’re all part of Bournemouth’s newest and largest Pétanque club
- MPPC is knowledgeable. Five of our members are qualified Pétanque England coaches with enhanced DBS checks so we can reach out to schools and youth organisations
- MPPC aims to win. In our first year, both our teams were promoted. In our second season – the same again! Now we have four teams to fulfil our members’ aspirations.
- MPPC is open for new members to apply. We are now proud to have well over 70 members.
- MPPC is accessible. We are easy to find and offer free car parking.
- MPPC is rooted in the community. We have strong local links via the Muscliff-Whittaker Foundation and the Steve Bernard Foundation.
We are proud to acknowledge the generous grants given by these two organisations, each of whose mission is to help make people’s lives better:
The Local Postcode Lottery has enabled us to install bench seating, a gravel surface all round the terrain to improve safety, and a kissing gate to improve access.
The Steve Bernard Foundation enabled us to acquire a number of sets of junior boules. These are used extensively in training sessions with local schools and youth organisations in the local area.